Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Captain Beefheart: the part about the beef heart


So when my quarter cow came, by the way, it was accompanied by its tongue, liver and heart. Your basic variety meats, in other words, minus the brain and kidneys. They came to me because the other three cow sharers didn't want them. I have never cooked any of these cuts, but I do like eating them -- particularly tongue -- and so it's going to be an adventure to learn how to do it myself. My grandfather used to be fond of beef heart, sliced thin and given a quick, hard fry. He also liked brains scrambled with eggs, but I just don't think I'll be going that far into family food tradition.

Honestly, though, almost as much of an adventure lies in learning what the hell to do with all the OTHER cuts of beef now cramming my freezer to capacity:

45 pounds of ground beef (!)
10 lbs stew meat
10 lbs cube steak
5 lbs bones

Plus a couple dozen steaks -- porterhouse, sirloin, t-bone, and rib steak, whatever that might be -- and an army of roasts: arm, chuck and English. Plus more stuff I didn't even write down as I stuffed it into the freezer.

I am, by the way, in the market for a really good meat loaf recipe...

No comments: